Home

Welcome to The Edge Association

The Alderley Edge Conservation Area lies some eight kilometres to the north-west of Macclesfield and is dramatically situated on a steep sandstone ridge with rolling fields and woodland surrounding it. The village of Alderley Edge forms its northwestern boundary, and was originally called Chorley, the settlement being renamed in the 1880s to differentiate it from Chorley in Lancashire.

Following the construction of the railway in 1842, the local landowner, Sir Humphrey de Trafford, of Chorley Hall, laid out an extensive estate of new roads and new houses were incrementally added, filling-in most of the available sites by 1910. Of these, nine are now listed grade II. The conservation area boundary largely reflects de Trafford’s original estate boundaries although also included are properties along Congleton Road and Whitebarn Road, mainly built between 1910 and the 1930s.

The conservation area is notable for its heavily wooded streets and substantial Victorian villas set in spacious, well planted gardens. Winding lanes are covered in their original sandstone setts and front boundary walls are usually built from the same local sandstone. The buildings, of which about 50 remain from before 1910, are very varied in style with examples of Tudorbethan, Italianate, neo-Georgian and Arts and Crafts designs. The wide range of materials used reflects this somewhat eclectic mix of styles, and includes stone, brick (several colours) smooth render or roughcast for the walls, and Welsh slate or clay tiles for the roofs.

Modern development has inevitably impinged in places, but generally the many mature trees and thick shrubbery provide good screening and in only a few locations is the effect negative. However, the preservation of the character of the conservation area depends upon the careful control of all new development.